Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Nearly done and what else is going on here...

So-o-o-o, ...after not posting for way too long, I guess I have to show that I have not been a totally idle couch potato. Not only have I been helping my mother, who is 93 1/2, become adjusted to living with my husband and me, I have been keeping my hands busy with knitting. The Endless Mountains wrap is nearly done. I have been thinking of increasing it along the lower edge by adding several more increased rows, creating something of a ruffle. That ruffle is morphing about in my brain as a solid color and then multi-color, and until it all calms down, I am content to wait.

Here is a close-up of the fabric:

I have also been doing a very mindless project. This happens when my brain wants to check out, but the hands keep moving. I got a Noro Catwalk pattern book for Christmas, and was planning to make one of the pullovers in it. However, I really didn't want to do endless cables with sock yarn. As it is, the thousands of tiny stitches are enough of a challenge with only a stockinette stitch on circular needles. I knew if I was going to do a project of this sort, it had better be something I get a lot of wear out of. Heaven forbid that after all this, it just sits in a drawer. As I tend to prefer minimalist, or a good structure to build off of, I thought a top-sown raglan sounded like a good bet. To make it even more simple, the neck and hems are going to be left to roll up. Never having done one of these, I started out with courage, yet with trepidation, wondering that it may not fit properly, and other various concerns.

To be on the safe side, I researched what I could, finding very little to provide assurance. However, I have discovered that this sweater is easy enough for a first project. Amazing! What could be easier than getting the gauge, and then casting on enough stitches to give the right neck hole? There is a bit of juggling for front, back and sleeve stitches, but after a few rows that curled the neckline nicely, I separated the stitches into four groups with stitch markers, and began to increase on each side with every row. I continued to knit in this way until a try-on determined
the length was sufficient to meet under the armpit easily. I am hoping that there will be a bit extra throughout the length in the event I get carried away and throw it in the washer one day. I love the way Noro's colors morph into each other. These yarns must have been rainbow inspired.

In spite of the tiny yarn and the #6 needles, the knitting is going along quickly. What you see in the photo is mostly done with just one skein of yarn. The pattern I originally thought to make called for two, and I may manage to finish this with what I have. However, I am just enough of a perfectionist that I will want the sleeves to be symmetrically striped, and to match them to the torso. I know, kind of anal, but I do want to love it and wear it often.