This week has been a time of resting up a little. The DH has been on a mini-vacation since Wednesday, and both of us needed R&R. We have been so busy taking care of things that have to be done that just staying home and having a movie marathon sounded good to both of us. Unlike our past "stay-cations" in which we did a little bit of local traveling and sight seeing, we thought it would be easier on both of us if we did not try to take my mother out every day. Now 97, and deeper into Alzheimer's Disease, we never know what to expect from her health-wise or in terms of attitude. Also, I just don't feel like pushing a wheel chair even 5 feet in the 100* heat we are having.
So, you should know by now that I do not just sit twiddling my thumbs. I have been busy working on the chair swing, patching the other pocket of The Jacket, and sewing up a tunic which is up-cycled from an old tank top, matching shorts, and similar color knit capris. I have had these three items for years, but have not worn them in forever because they "got little." I could have worn them, but I hate seeing a of any age woman stuffed into her clothing. As far as I am concerned, it is seriously deeming to her dignity and speaks volumes on her self worth. Clothing should add grace, mystery and beauty, and there ain't no way that defining every bulge and cellulite dimple does that.
Because the tunic took too much thinking as I designed it, I didn't take photos of the stages it went through, but it is easy enough to describe the process. The first thing I did was to remove a label that was sewn to the front of the tank top. I am not at all big on wearing someones labels on my clothing. I knew I would slip up with this and made a few tiny holes in the knit. Yes, this could be a disaster, but there is a great product called Fray Check that will stop unraveling in T-short knits. I used to use it often on my son's T's because they always got holes where they were tucked into their pants at the front waistline.Then, I picked out a stitched on logo from the shorts. No holes this time! Next, I cut the waistband from the shorts, and cut the two front and two back pieces apart along the seam-lines. I was careful to preserve the pockets. The waistband is a folded ribbing with a drawstring, and I decided to use it along the waistline seam when joining the "skirt." I actually cut it in half the long way, and extended it by sewing the two halves together, and then cutting it to fit the hem of the top.
For the skirt portion, I cut the shorts pieces straight down from the center front and back seam-lines, removing the crotch areas. The legs of the capris were cut into elongated diamonds and sewn in at center front and back as well as the side seams. I only needed to hem the diamonds as the shorts already had the hems. After sewing the waistline together, all that was left was to thread the drawstring through, and then patch some pieces onto the holes on the front of the top.