Tuesday, August 17, 2010

An Old Pair of Jeans Gets a Facelift Resurection ...or Too Much Is Never Enough!



I have an old pair of Lee jeans. They fit perfectly. They are so soft and comfortable that I live in them. They are several years old now. They have been patched with iron-on patches to help keep them together at the seams, but now, the fabric is getting so thin that it has given way over one knee, and the crotch is shredding apart, ...and I am not ready to give them up even though I hesitate to wear these jeans anywhere out of the house now for fear of a blow out that would certainly leave me facing public humiliation. I have devised a few plans to deal with this possibility. One solution has been to iron patches on the underside, ...and patch, ...and patch, ...in order to give the illusion that they are still new and wearable. I suspect that I am only fooling myself. Another solution is to wear a mini-skirt over the jeans to provide decency in case of a rip out.

Yesterday, I got the new September issue of Elle in the mail. Lots of jeans! Some even had patches featured, and got me to thinking of my quilting days and fascination with patchwork embroidery. It has such a rich history, and Victorian times provided a height of embellishment. The Victorians must have had a philosophy of "too much is never enough!" There has never been as much popularity in ripped up jeans as there is now. My grandson won't buy a pair unless it is properly ripped, and it's a happy day when the hem gets caught by the bicycle chain and it bites a chunk out. For myself, however, I prefer a less chewed up, grubby style.
Anyway, my old jeans need revival. I plan to share the transformation with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment