Friday, November 4, 2011

Done, Da-Done Done!


Yes, it is done! I am so glad that this is now finished, and all those pesky little ends are tied off, tucked in and otherwise taken car
e of. I am already off to other pursuits and now it is a course in making jewelry. I spent the morning making S-links out of copper wire, and practicing torching wire to create little balls at the ends. It is a pretty cool way to make head pins, and a lot cheaper than purchasing them. At first, I was admittedly terrified of the torch, just knowing that I would set my self on fire the first time I used it. However, Fate is much kinder than that, and I have not had an unpleasant episode and do not expect to. I have unfortunately had a few wire go "dead" due to cooking them too long. A few of my beautiful little balls cracked off as I tried to curl the wire around my pliers. Well, practice and time will improve my efforts. Not always sure I have found the "sweet spot" at the end of the blue flame, I can tell that the metal is about to melt. There is a beautiful flaming rainbow of color that fans out behind the wire as it glows nearly white before it balls up. That part has me hooked. I adore rainbows, however they come to me.


5 comments:

  1. love love love your new garment, the shape is beautifully elegant, the colours are just stunning, it really suits you, brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This project has intrigued me from the beginning. Your designer skills are excellent and your artistic talent really shines through. Congratulations on capturing the Klimt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Helen! A lot of it was just luck. I got the gauge, which is so important, though what is gauge when you are free-ranging? Anyway, I just figured that what I was doing ought to work and it did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thank you Lynne, I so appreciate your compliments. This was a stretch for me and those of you who know me through Ravelry's Jane Thornley group know that I am often the last to start my project for a KAL because it simmers in my mind for so long. This was done in spurts of knit and simmer, knot and simmer. This one had to be good because I kept talking about it to one of my clients, who is a famous artist. ...Like going on a diet and being on TV. There was pressure to perform!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Mardi... this is simply fabulous! Your design elements are over the top... what a pleasure to see it completed! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete