Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Knitting Again


Ages have gone by without a knitting project in the making.  I guess this is partly true because of the diversity of my interests, plus the stacks of already knit things, and the fact that the last project took me months to get through.  ...I just needed a break!  So, when I decided that I needed to go through my wardrobe and make some changes, I realized that I have a need for a  few lightweight cover-ups, and a very open knit top would be perfect.  Once again, my mentor and friend, Jane Thornley, tempted me with her new pattern, The Color Streams Wrap, which you can find on Ravelry or her blog.  The plan is to create this as a hem edge, and attach it to a mesh top-down sweater.  Ugh!  ...sweater immediately brings to mind something too warm and covered to wear for summer in the South.

Once again, I am indulging in shades of aqua, teal, turquoise and adding in a really intense electric blue.  The inspiration that juiced me up is an incredible Azurite geode I saw online.  Digging into really old stash this time, I am putting to use some yarn I  bought so many years ago, that I am surprised it is still good.  Forty!  That's how old the yarn is. Anyway, this wrap is made up of short rows, inserting wedges of color that break up the stripy-ness and give a sense of movement.  ...How cool is that?!!!  As I look at this, I think I will back up and remove some of that infinite grayness I am seeing.  I get the feeling that it is killing the spirit of lightness and brightness of this piece and going too dark for summer in the South.  ...I will keep y'all posted on my progress!



2 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see this project grow - grey sometimes is eating color instead of highlighting it. Turquoise is beautiful. In any shape or form! And I am glad you are back in the knitting fold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creatively I feel like I am in deep stagnation. With studies, rehabing a rental property, caring for my mother,dealing with other issues, the creative side is low on energy. It is coming out in strange ways though, as yesterday I painted the kitchen of the rental house a Granny Smith apple green. ...Mmmmmm, I wonder if the next tenant will have the urge to bake pies?

    ReplyDelete