I have finally finished knitting a vest from a pattern by Jane Thornley, named the Riverstone Vest. Her version is an astonishing replication of river rocks in shades of blackish-grayish-creamy yarns that would get lost if you happened to lay it down on top of a river rock. I loved it at first sight. My own creation strayed a bit in color when I found a gorgeous ribbon, Sari by Louisa Harding. Shades of mossy green, rusts and browns, set off with a strip of copper gleam, it just had to come home with me. ...Along with a few other beauties that befriended it in the shop. It is a super fast knitting project, but I was held back by running out of yarns, having to order, and even over-dye a Patagonia Nature Cotton that was a bit too yellow to blend in with the first one.
Once I started, I forgot to count rows along the neck edge. (I do things like that occasionally.) As a solution for a barely discernible deviation of symmetry, I decided that some terracotta dangles and ribbons to give a bit more character to the neckline was exactly what it needed.
Several Internet searches came up with no terracotta beads. Perhaps for some reason I have yet to discover. However, I am the sort of person who won't take "No' for an answer, and made it a mission to find them. Ever eying some broken flower pots in the back yard, I finally came to the realization that if I were to have what I wanted, I would have to make them myself. Hammer and Dremel in hand, I did what I had to, and this is my result. Photo of the final result will be coming soon!